Friday, February 7, 2014

Namesake

 

Left to Right: Great-Aunt Maddy, Great-Grandma Rae, and me.


RachaelRaeis my maternal great-grandma, and my namesake. From what I know of her, we would've been fast friends. She liked to make handicrafts, pick wild flowers, and even in her old age wore her hair piled on top of her head in one long, silvery braid. I know it kind of goes hand-in-hand with the sentiment of the times, but she (and Maddy, too) had a natural gravitation toward things that were both practical and lovely. Their slouchy knit hats? Case in point. 


This is a recent photo, though it looks like it could've been taken years ago. I wonder how tall this tree was in 1920?


When these two sisters got together, they laughed until they shook the room. I want to be remembered like that. 

1 comment:

  1. You will also be remembered as someone who made everyone smile. You do shine and your smile makes the pain go away. RAC

    ReplyDelete